Erik & Becca

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace and you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fuss-It-Out

It has been quite the experience learning how to sleep with Luke. So many people advocated for crying-it-out, but it was something that I was just not comfortable with. I was, however, going in to his room at night after Luke was fussing for not very long because I was so tired and wanted him to go right back to sleep (nursing would do this for him).

I committed to letting him FIO (Fuss It Out) for five nights, giving up my precious, broken up sleep (and also kicking my husband out of the bed to go and get Luke to go back to sleep). There were two pretty long nights. One night, Luke fussed for 45 minutes (never cried) and put him back to sleep. Then he woke up thirty minutes later fussing and fussing and then crying. Erik woke up and rocked him three times in 2 hours to get him to go back to sleep.

Then, last Saturday night, he slept. He slept from 7pm-530am, then I nursed him, and he slept till 715am. I was shocked. I didn't sleep because I kept waking up thinking something was wrong (or waking up out of habit).

Sunday night, he did it again. He slept from 7pm-5am, nursed, and went back to sleep. Luckily, this night I did sleep and it felt incredible.

Monday night, he slept from 7pm and I didn't feel like pumping (so I tried a "dreamfeed" and nursed him at 10pm) He slept till SIX! He did not want to go back to sleep, but I was okay with that.

So I am finally becoming myself again. Praise God.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Proud of you for letting him "fuss-it-out" :) Hopefully this is the start to a new way of sleeping!